Tuesday 3 August 2021

How Old Is The Captain? Most get it wrong...




Click on the video below.

Once you've got the question, pause the video and try to figure out the answer on your own. 

No, you can't ask your mother.

Or your ex-tuition teacher.

Don't cheat!


Once you're done, click on the video to get the answer.






 



Those who majored in Math, and who knew the answer long ago, did you apply what you've learned when it comes to investing/trading?


As for the majority of us who were confused, or got the answer wrong to this primary school math question, how?


Does it reminds you of those talking heads on TV (or analysts with their newsletters) who try to explain the market moves for the day?


Don't believe?


Try explaining the gains on our 3 bank stocks in STI last Friday when big daddy removed the cap on dividends payout?


But it fizzled out today...


Or Keppel's price popped when dividends got increased, but now price retracing back... Eh? Those selling today made their contra gains already?


Now you know why most retail traders eventually quit trading and become born again "investors".


Trading is hard. (Unless you're the savvy ones who sold last Friday and bought back today)


Most of the daily moves in the markets are like the math question above, "How old is the Captain?"


LOL!









6 comments:

  1. Smol,

    At the 18 second mark, I paused & thought about it.

    The first thing that came to my mind was ... there's almost zero context to this question.

    After 2 gulps of afternoon kopi, my thinking was it has to be an age range:
    Old enough to have a ship's license but young enough to handle such lively & heavy cargo.

    Ok, ok I got ageism complex. Still think of ship cargo like the coolies carrying 100kg of sacks at S'pore River docks.

    Say between 21 to 45 yrs of age (I dunno what's the minimum age requirement for ship captain in China).


    Unpaused the video & had a good laugh.

    PS: Ok, I know ship captain supposed to be shepherd with kar kias under him to do the rough work. Plus now ports use automated cranes to do the job. Guess I'm also biased against China, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spur,

      Unlike the previous "97% will fail this test" post, where I got the answer easily, this time I got stumped...

      I just say to myself I can't solve this math problem.


      That's one advantage for being weak in math; I'm not afraid to say I don't know the answer ;)


      I had a good laugh at myself at the end of the video.

      Idiot!

      If I had more confidence in myself, I would have got the answer right!

      Instead of saying I don't know, I should have said I don't have enough data to solve the problem!

      There is still lots of room for improvement when it comes to my craftsmanship ;)

      Delete
  2. Talking heads will boast if they are right and get away without penalty or shame if they are wrong. Can still listen to talking heads on TV (or analysts with their newsletters).

    Wait!

    Talking heads also now on investment blogs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW,

      That's where critical thinking comes in - for the readers or listeners ;)

      Delete
  3. Smol,

    Trading is hard ... maths is harder.

    If you're genius at math, you have a chance at FIRE-ing ... and collect up to US$6M.

    Solve 6 maths problems to win USD1M each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spur,

      Alas, my math's competence is stuck at O levels, and that's normal math.

      I didn't take additional math.

      I'll stick with trading!


      My strength is using words to tell a story to cut through the fog of fuzzy thinking.

      Like my socking $50K per year under the mattress to become a millionaire in 20 years story ;)

      Some see it as Earn More; some see it as Save More.

      I'm crystal like mud!

      LOL!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...