Wednesday 28 June 2023

Hello SP Group, I'm Back!

 

Yup, I've moved back to Big Daddy's electricity provider this month.


To recap and have a better sense of context, you may want to read my previous 18 Oct 2021 post:


SP Wholesale versus Electricity Retailers




I've been "lucky" for the past 2 years - paying a mere $0.168/kWh - despite the rising quarterly Electricity Tariffs...


But that 2-year honeymoon ended this month.


My current electricity provider tried to "entice" me to renew the contract for another minimum 18 months with an extra "discount" for repeat customers.


Good try.


I don't sweat the small stuffs like downloading apps to enjoy extra discounts for Kopitiam or points for free burgers at McDonalds...


But for my monthly electricity plans? I bothered to do some quick research. Wink.


For historical electricity tariff prices, click the excel file from SP Group below: 


Historical Electricity Prices



Those of you who see better with pictures may want to convert the data into charts yourself. (What? I don't spoon-feed one OK?)





What do you see?


Locking prices for the next 18 months at current electricity prices is like buying near a market top...


I just can't bring myself to do it. (Occupational hazard of a trader)


But why return to SP Group?


That's because no independent electricity retailers are now offering variable plans!!!???


Remember when we can choose independent electricity retailers for the first time?


We were offered "fixed" and "variable" plans right?


I'll let you figure out why no independent retailers are offering "variable" plans to us anymore...


Well, no worries!


Hello SP Group, I'm back!



Of course I can be wrong!


I'll have eggs on my face if next quarter's electricity tariff goes up...


But if you are a Trend Follower like me (Lower electricity bills from April to June as tariff falls by 5.4%), then not locking-in our monthly electricity is the way to benefit from future lower deflationary electricity prices.




P.S.  Since I'm not Buy-and-Hold but a Man-Whore Market Timer, once electricity prices have dropped to the low 20s (break below 20 even better), I'll start flirting with the independent retailers again.











4 comments:

  1. https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/higher-electricity-bills-from-july-to-september-as-tariff-increases-by-12

    Someone will have eggs 🥚 on his face... Haha. 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Desmond,

      Yup, got splattered with an egg on my face!

      LOL!

      Lucky the egg is +1.2% sized big!!!

      Phew.


      Got 18 months of runway for my "market timing" hedging.

      Still better off than locking-in at >$30 fixed prices anytime from Jul 22 last year till Mar 23.

      Glass half-full or half-empty, I'll know and update here 18 months later ;)




      Delete
  2. Time will tell whether your decision is a right one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 🇺🇸🇮🇸🇲🇾🇦🇩🏳️‍🌈🇭🇺🇬🇳Investment is one of the best ways to achieve financial freedom. For a beginner there are so many challenges you face. It's hard to know how to get started. Trading on the Cryptocurrency market has really been a life changer for me. I almost gave up on crypto at some point not until saw a recommendation on Elon musk successfully success story and I got a proficient trader/broker Mr Bernie Doran , he gave me all the information required to succeed in trading. I made more profit than I could ever imagine. I'm not here to converse much but to share my testimony; I have made total returns of $20,500.00 from an investment of just $2000.00 within 1 week. Thanks to Mr Bernie I'm really grateful,I have been able to make a great returns trading with his signals and strategies .I urge anyone interested in INVESTMENT to take bold step in investing in the Cryptocurrency Market, he can also help you RECOVER your lost Cryptocurrencies. you can reach him on his Gmail : BERNIEDORANSIGNALS@GMAIL.COM
    , bitcoin is taking over the world, tell him I referred you🇧🇼🇹🇻🇪🇹🇨🇲🇫🇴🇬🇹🇭🇹🇬🇲

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...