Wednesday 12 April 2023

Aren't You Glad You No Longer In School Today?

 

Remember streaming?


Now no streaming.


Full subject-based banding anyone?




From "precision" in PSLE school results to reducing fine differentiation in students' examination results at a young age.


From credentials and paper qualifications to skills and competencies?


Have you noticed it's moving in the direction of grey?


The muddier the better?




Look, big daddy is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) employer of their own "creations".


It got a front row seat in receiving immediate crash got sound feedback whether we Singaporean employees can make it or can't make it...


Mind you, our Singapore education system is highly respected worldwide. Our students often come out on top globally in Math and Science.


Hence this post is not a knock on big daddy; in fact its complimentary. Wink.




If you are tertiary educated in your 40s or 50s, and feeling very stressed with the constant changes and competition globally (using FIRE to escape), you may want to take the time to understand why big daddy spending some much time and resources making all these education reforms over the years?


Why the emphasis by big daddy today is not the first 15 years of our youths' formal educational years, but the last 50 years of their working lives? (Hint to youths - retirement age 70 is coming for you)


Perhaps it's to prepare our children so they don't become like us?




Very easy to tell whether our youths of tomorrow will become better prepared than us old fogeys.


I'll be very surprised if this FIRE thingy will be still a thing 10-20 years later.


Who will pay up to be told how to trade/invest when youths of tomorrow can think for themselves and get themselves educated on their own? 


Isn't that having the joy of learning and continuous education all about?


And why FIRE when we are happy doing the things we love?




Financial snake oils, you are on borrowed time. 


But no worries, you just have to relocate to countries where the people there are mostly bei kambings that love to be told what to do. 




Why I say this post is complimentary to big daddy?


Can you imagine how hard and difficult it would be to govern and rule over cats of the future???


But the good thing is that when citizens can think for themselves, we would more likely have the common sense to be like the Swiss who voted against Unconditional Basic Income in June 2016.


Can you trust the majority of Singaporeans saying no to "free" money today? 


Some would probably declare they have reached LEAN FIRE if the Universal Basic Income is similar to CPF Life as in $1,000 plus per month?


Take the money and "retire" to Bali or Phuket on the cheap?



   



10 comments:

  1. Hi Jared,
    Long time no chat! How are you? :)
    I have been reading more about Lean F.I.R.E. which is something that got my interest in recent months.
    Your blog is on the first page of search results when I Googled "lean fire Singapore blogger man." ;)
    Yeah, I sexist. Only want to see how males in Singapore are doing on Lean F.I.R.E. ;p
    Your blog has a different angle but it's your unique style. :)
    "If you are tertiary educated in your 40s or 50s, and feeling very stressed with the constant changes and competition globally (using FIRE to escape)."
    SMOL knocking people. AK also kena. (TmT)
    Hope all is well and you are still gaming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look who showed up!?

      Ip Man Blues Brother himself!!!

      I am good.

      Yup, still gaming. If I can, I would be gaming till my 90s ;)

      Nope, never want to grow up!

      Wanted to play Genshin Impact when it launched, but with my potato notebook with integrated graphics... Eh...

      Plus getting old liao. Too much eye-hand coordination needed. I'll stick with turn-based mobile games like Epic Seven. Similar to chess, can slowly plan my next move. LOL!


      Knock you my head!

      We both walked down the mountain around the same age at around 44/45.

      I poked LEAN FIRE with my minimum PC and recommended PC requirements analogy.

      You come poke me I on first page of Google search under LEAN FIRE Singapore blogger man?

      How the hell I got associated with LEAN??? Ha, ha!

      Eh! I only poked LEAN FIRE.

      You giving sermons on the pitfalls of LEAN!!!

      AK, the evangelist?


      FIRE to escape versus FIRE to achieve - you know, I know. Shh...


      Jokes aside, one thing we can agree on. Gamers are the coolest people!

      And that's a fact ;)


      Delete
    2. OK, let me get the most important thing I want to say out of the way first.
      Genshin Impact is made for the mobile phone lah!
      I play it on my laptop but it is obviously made to be played on the phone.
      Give it a try. :)
      Playing Genshin Impact has made me better at playing Neverwinter because it trains me to use the A, S and D keys and not just use the W key and the mouse.
      I move better in game now which is more than I can say for my movement in real life.
      Older and fingers stiffer but I want to keep playing!
      I don't know if I would live to be 90 but the day the doctor says no more gaming for me, I would opt for euthanasia. (TmT)
      Simi sermons about Lean F.I.R.E.?
      I am just talking to myself.
      Don't know when have congregation.
      I blur. O_o
      Sometimes, talking to myself, I accidentally poke people.
      Very cham liddat. -.-"
      We always say this in Neverwinter before logging off!
      "Good luck and have fun!" :D

      Delete
    3. AK,

      My mobile is entry level Xiaomi lah.

      Cannot get Genshin Impact above 60fps :(

      Sure, can play at 30fps and below, but like I've poked on minimum PC requirement, the gaming experience is not the same...

      Either I too cheap or too IT dinosaur to buy a flagship phone when my two most used app is Whapsapp and the calculator function.

      I prefer to play mobile games on my notebook using an emulator. Fat fingers and bad eyesight with small mobile screens don't exactly match...

      I was laughing when I saw flagship mobiles selling for above $1,500!?

      A bit more I can buy a new notebook!!! (OK, confirm I'm cheap)


      Remember Patty from our cbox days?

      I think he now counsellor or something. No stigma one if you want to talk to him.

      I don't know about you. If someone talks to themselves on the train or bus, I'll nonchalantly move aside....

      In Epic Seven, we like to poke those who take the game too seriously to go outside and touch grass.

      LOL!



      Delete
    4. Oh dear. I don't know simi fps and emulator. -.-
      I just install game and play. If I like, I keep playing. If I don't like, I uninstall.
      So, you don't IT dinosaur. I know you sarcastic and referring to me. (TmT)
      I have been using only Samsung phones in the last 10 years or so, maybe.
      They make it easy to transfer stuff from old phone to new which appeals to IT dino AK. ;p
      I only buy the cheapest models too. $99 or something each after loyalty vouchers from SingTel.
      Anyway, I see your pain point. I wouldn't play GI on my phone either.
      Good news is that PC prices are dropping and GI is really not very demanding. An ACER Aspire with 8G RAM can run GI liao. :)
      So, don't need to be a bit more than $1.5K.
      ACER Aspire is a lot less than $1.5K.
      I blog about my ACER notebook before, if you remember. It is pretty good.
      I remember Pat ge, of course. Good friend with Mew ge.
      Ah, cbox. Nostalgia.
      I need medication. So, if Pat ge becomes a psychiatrist, I might fire my current one but unlikely as the current one works in IMH. Very cheap! ;p

      Delete
    5. AK,

      Yup, I remember your Acer Aspire notebook.

      I don't need current generation graphics cards like the RTX series with ray tracing. I budget gamer; not 4K gamer with 144Hz gaming screens.

      Last generation GTX1650Ti should suffice for motor racing, turn-based, and RPG games if I stick with 1080p gaming ;)

      I currently eyeing the ASUS 15'6 notebook with OLED screen.
      It's not too expensive with GTX1650Ti at around $1,500.

      Eh? I not too IT dinosaur when it comes to gaming! LOL!

      Acer and ASUS do make nice budget/mid-tier gaming notebooks :)


      Psst.

      You may want to Trust but Verify whether your shrink is WORKING at IMH or is STAYING there...

      Just saying...

      Delete
    6. Oh, I didn't buy an ACER Aspire. I bought an ACER NITRO 5.
      I could have bought an ACER Aspire for a few hundred dollars but the NITRO 5 was a proper (entry level) gaming laptop and I got it for $1.3K which was a good price back then.
      Now, the NITRO 5 is around the same price but it will come with a bigger SSD and 16G RAM instead of the 8G RAM I have.
      I think $1.5K sounds expensive. Yes, I cheaper than SMOL. ;p
      I have had no problem with my NITRO 5 since I got it in January 2018. I only wish it had a larger SSD. I ran out of space and had to shift Neverwinter and GI to the HDD. So slow. -.-
      Happy shopping! :D

      Delete
    7. AK,

      Thank goodness you're not that cheap and bought the Acer NITRO instead!

      Then we're pretty much on the same page. Games can "run" at minimum PC requirements, but the gaming experience is not the same ;)

      I think hardcore gamers with their $3-$4K gaming notebooks must be laughing at us two cheapo gamers. LOL!

      You have fun too!

      It's a luxury and a privilege to live life with this motto, "No fun, no do!"


      Delete
  2. Smol,

    Definitely. it is getting tougher for the future generations.

    Wtk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WTK,

      Its only tougher if they are snowflakes or strawberries.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...