Saturday 5 November 2022

Edge as in Local Local Knowledge - Or so I thought!

 

We often ask what's our edge when it comes to investing/trading.


Tip: If you have no freaking clue, you don't have an edge lah!


Just this morning, I discovered what I thought was my edge turned out to be merely superficial advantage all along...






I've been staying at Queenstown all my life - all 55 years of it!


If Queenstown were a stock, I'll have an edge over those who are not staying here. I mean I can rattle off what happened 30 years ago, what new shops or buildings popped up recently (technicals)...

I also have first-hand knowledge of the population growth (or lack of) here; the mix - whether it's aging or more young families moving in; and whether there's buying power as reflected by the "attasness" of the retail shops here (fundamentals).


Take a look at the picture above.


On the left side, there's a long row of 2 storey building. This I know about although I never went in and see it for myself - it was a former golf driving range. 

I only knew about it as there's a sign outside near the Queenstown library (what others say).

This week finally walked in to take a look.

Now it has been transformed into Children's Cove and Aqaduck? Interesting! (Child care big business!)


I discover there's 2 empty fields on the right side only after moving to my new high floor Dawson flat???

I mean I've only walked or took public transport outside Margaret Drive road previously.

The 2 fields are nestled inside landed properties estate. 

 

Just googled this morning and discover the top field is the Singapore Cricket Club Rugby Academy, while the bottom field is the Singapore Cricket Club Ground.

I'm not so smug now.


Feels similar?

Especially those of you born and bred Singaporean investors who have been investing in STI stocks for over 30 years?

Even now, I still make "I thought I knew but actually I no freaking clue" mistakes in trading...

LOL!




  




6 comments:

  1. Like eating at hawker centres or food courts, I have never try every stalls; but keep revisiting that few familiar (favourite) ones. Same like investing in local SGX only and keep revisting that few familiar stocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW,

      That's your edge!

      Hence your milking blood from stone with multiple rounds trading around the few core positions of yours. Wink.


      I like the recent post from Ip Man Blues Brother.

      I mean most retail "investors" would be assuming they know a lot about ComfortDelgro - the same as me with my Queenstown - but once Wuhan virus struck, how many will admit they didn't know ComfortDelgro was not as "defensive" as they originally thought?

      I've noticed he has become less "bleeding heart". Beyond the cotton floss sugar-coated replies, there's a little needle hidden inside poking - not with malice - more to jolt his readers to "wake up".

      Hello! When facts change, why stick your head in the sand and chant "long term" investing as if that would help?

      But then again, how many of us can be like Warren Buffett to sell out all his airline positions when Wuhan virus struck?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. WTK,

      That would mean everyone is "left"...

      That would be no chill.

      What's the point of being left-handed then?


      An edge is when others are red, you are blue ;)



      Delete
  3. Smol,

    Right or left do not matter. This applies in the circumstance in whiCH all are left. No perfect scenario. Zen and peace of mind.

    Wtk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...