Saturday 14 April 2012

I've Never Been To Me - Charlene



"I've Never Been to Me", a 1982 popular song during my secondary school days, and considered a one-hit-wonder by Charlene-- an American R&B singer .

Depending on how you wear your bias glasses, you may find the lyrics controversial, even racy or sexual.  

My favourite line is: I've been to paradise.. but I've never been to me...

I guess most men when they are having their mid-life crisis will ask the same question.

Especially when you have done and achieved what is expected of you - as a son, husband, and father... But what about me?

Boy, am lucky to be a man in this day and age!

Can you imagine the stress and pressure on a modern woman today? 

On one side there is this maternal instinct and traditional family values where your happiness is derived from the love of  your husband and the care of your children.

And then you have bra burning feminists who encourage you to be who you are without letting these traditional chains hold you back...

I am glad I'll never have to ask this of myself: 

Sometimes I've been to crying for unborn children that might have made me complete


OK, enough new age sensitive man bull-shit! Need to go back to pretending to act tough. Big boy don't cry. Sniff, sniff.


2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to comment on this post but hessitated for a bit. Ah well here goes! This song always reminds me of my wife - she's my best friend, my inspiration, my stability. "I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me" is also my fav line because it speaks to what she's been through too. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ronian,

    Some men don't even know women have dreams of their own too...

    Even if the men knew, few would let their wives "soar"...

    You are different :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...